The Miranda-Mortágua UCI Continental Team concluded its performance in good form today in the 37th edition of the Crédito Agrícola Tour of Alentejo. Pedro Pinto was one of the leaders in the breakaway of the day, in a stage where the Spaniard Enrique Sanz (Euskadi Basque Country-Murias) won once again.
The W52-FC Porto team had to respond early on to breakaway of eight cyclists that started at kilometer 16. Up to this moment the team had been in action with an objective to be on the front of the race. Among the eight that escaped and who finally managed to distance themselves from the peloton was Pedro Pinto, a young 18-year-old cyclist who’s making his debut this year in the professional squad. The breakaway opened up a gap that stretched to six minutes, but would ultimately reeled in upon arrival in Évora.
The approach to the finish was very fast, where the cyclists entered the Évora straightaway at full speed. The finish, where the final 400 meters ascended to the line, would be too hard for our sprinter, Daniel Freitas, who rode clear of the top spots.
In the end, Pinto stated that "It was very good to be able to make it into the break today. We all tried our luck during these five days of racing and today, we finally managed to represent on the front of the race. It was my first Alentejo Tour and being in the break on the last day was gratifying. I am pleased to have shown the Miranda-Mortágua colors at front of the race today."
At the race’s finish, Pedro Silva said that "today was a reward for the team, which struggled to be on the front of the race during these five days of competition. In both the sprint and time trial finishes we weren’t at our best, but today the attitude of the team was different and we were active in the stage, which leaves us with more confidence for the next races."
The general classification was won by Portuguese racer João Rodrigues (W52/FC Porto). The team’s next race will be the GP Beiras and Serra da Estrela, an international category 2.1 race that will take place April 12-14 and which promises a lot of hard racing.
Portalegre - Évora: 152 kms
1. Enrique Sanz (Euskadi Basque Country-Murias), 3h29m33s
39. Daniel Freitas (Miranda-Mortágua), 24s
53. Hugo Sancho (Miranda-Mortágua), at 31s
60. Gaspar Gonçalves (Miranda-Mortágua), mt
76. Ivo Pinheiro (Miranda-Mortágua), at 1m30s
108. Jesús Nanclares (Miranda-Mortágua), at 6m24s
112. Pedro Pinto (Miranda-Mortágua), mt
DNS Cristian Mota (Miranda-Mortágua)
1. João Rodrigues (W52 / FC Porto), 3h29m33s
34. Gaspar Gonçalves (Miranda-Mortágua), at 4m43s
37. Daniel Freitas (Miranda-Mortágua), at 5m17s
63. Ivo Pinheiro (Miranda-Mortágua), at 15m57s
67. Hugo Sancho (Miranda-Mortágua), at 17m05s
103. Jesus Nanclares (Miranda-Mortágua), at 29m37s
107. Pedro Pinto (Miranda-Mortágua), at 35m47s
Bosch EMTB Challenge - SalzkammergutRead more
Emanuel Pombo dominates the E-Bike classRead more
Team goes even more global with new, surprise additionRead more